Saturday, December 10, 2016

Departure Day and Festival of Lights in Lyon

This is probably the 60th time I am boarding an airplane this year and never have I been so stressed.
Not quite sure why, maybe because for the first time since a long time I am on my own and will be for the coming weeks. The last 4 months - ever since I left Barcelona - I have been surrounded by family and friends, feeding myself with their love and energy.

I am now alone on the road on a journey that should help me find the past to my future.
As a good friend keeps telling me: It's all about the journey, not the destination.
Well I hope there are nice waves to surf on in that journey :)

Anyway the last 24 hours have been close to perfect in Lyon spending quality time with old friends and wandering the city's streets at night admiring the Festival of Lights.
For the reason we know security this year have been increased but the overall experience remains special. The building of the old town and the Saint Jean area coming to life in these perfect display of image and sound. Take a minute to see the piece of art that transformed the facade of cathedral Saint Jean (make sure you watch it in 1080p).




The city of Lyon claims that more than 4 millions visitors pass by during the week end.
My journey away from that madness will take me to Malaysia for the first time with a short layover in Istanbul.

It was a fun last day in Europe. I got to share a coffee and couple of hours with an old college of mine from Amsterdam! Was cool to see you Lee :)

As I am writing these line, it appears that a bombing took place in the center of the city, close to the Besiktas stadium. I am safe, at the airport at the moment enjoying a beer waiting for my connecting flight.

Next post will be from Kuala Lumpur :)

No comments:

Post a Comment